Friday 3 August 2007

News From up Tarn!

White Rose, Red Blood!
Richard Hawley


I am very much looking forward to the latest Richard Hawley cd.

He’s talking with Alex from T’monkeys here. Two things occurs firstly he always looks wonderfully seedy. The greased DA haircut helps and the big gebs and this all mixes with his rock start pallour to make him look slightly dodgy, top stuff though.

Also top marks for use of the Queens English (i.e. Elizabeth 1st that is), nice use of "thine" in the interview.

" I remember it really well. I were nine, laying in bed at night quite late, arsing about with my guitar, as I always have and always will. So my dad came up and were right pissed off. "What are you doing still awake?" And I said, "I've got this tune and I don't know whose it is." I thought I heard it somewhere. So he said, "Well, play it me." And I played it him. And he goes, "It's thine. Now go to fucking bed." And he turned the light off, and I was laying there getting my head around the concept of making music myself. I make songs up in bizarre places. Pushing kids on swings. In the middle of Tesco's. "

Ps my spell check is obviously hopeless at editing sonnets (or even Heart beat!) etc as “thine” isn’t in the dictionary

5 comments:

Clair said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Clair said...

I think Yorkshire is the last home of archaic language like 'thine'. Great, isn't it?

BLTP said...

I'm particularly fond of "yond" and "fettle" both useful words lost in most dialects.

Unknown said...

My favourite is laik - play - as in, "Is your BLTP coming out to laik dobby?" (Dobby's another great one - hide and seek. And then there's poppoes - horses. I could go on but best not.)

I was gobsmacked years after leaving Tarn to read a book on language and find out laik is a word common to Norway, Sweden and Denmark that means play! We're reight vikings, us!

BLTP said...

I like "keg" me as in "reet fine Keg" also "reet fine ten bob jister thrister" god too.