Sunday 27 April 2008

First out of the Traps

Super Super Super8

In the olden days when digital still refered to calculators and watches or even sometimes fingers, film making was different there were video cameras but that seemed to be the realm of tv companies or wedding parties.

No your arty amateur went for super 8. That's were I came in, the whole thing was great in many ways; it was cheap the camera I used the most cost £2.50, the film was £7 quid, you could make a 3.5 min film for £15. Even my lovely Eumig 824(the best thing to come out of Austria after chocolate cake!) projector only cost £35 from the Cancer Research. I'll post some pics of my kit soon for all you lovers of 70 graphics.

As well as cheap super 8 looks great, all those saturated colours or sharp black and white, it's a shame it's become short hand in film for memories or reconstructions as to my mind the world's better looking in super 8.

The other great thing about Super8 looks initially like a downside, it's short, each film is 4 mins tops meaning you have to think about what you shoot and also the world is already full of miles of unedited video footage so let's not add to this mountain.

Anyway here's my first film the quality on you tube is not great the grainness of the night time stock doesn't help. Anyone who's in it I can sort out a DVD(better quality hopefully) when I've done some more, so bear with me. And as always enjoy!



ps. A note on the music it's the one I use to play over it at the time and I thought about changing but it's of a piece and I have a lot of time for Blur (when they are not making cheese)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. Nice music too.

Mondo said...

It works a treat, I found a similar style nugget on youtube recently - I'll be blogging it soon, but have an early peep here

Anonymous said...

Brilliant film, good choice of soundtrack!

Who were those young people?

It is kind of sad, in a harry dean stanton/natasha kinski way. Maybe it just reminds me of the money i lost on the night.

Can we have some happy Wonder Years super 8 next?