Wednesday 16 April 2008

Love Vigilante


North Country and Western:
I downloaded the new Laura Cantrell tunes today, bit of a first for me being the first time I’ve paid for a download. I only did it this way as there’s no cd. As far as downloads vs. cd’s go “a man needs something he can hold onto like 10 lld hammer or women like you” but needs must when....

Anyway my Luddite tendencies aside Ms Cantrell new song cycle is bunch of covers devoted to travel. The song I was destined to like is her version Love Vigilante by New Order which is excellent. LV is an already classic song rendered extra poignant by Laura's wonderfully distinctive slightly sorrowful voice. “Silver wings” is good too well worth a listen. I do like the way Laura Cantrell sings she has a wonderfully pure voice but with hints of country nasal twang (which sounds better than I’m describing).

I can remember the day I bought “Low life” it was this time of year and I wandered down town with some birthday money and after a quick check of the prices in woolies smiths etc, I headed to EGS records, past the cassettes and pictures discs and there it was in shining a matt white sleeve, Steven Morris’s angular face scowling through the semi opaque paper sheaf, to say it looked cool was an understatement. Anyway half hour walk home and straight to my room to put it on and it was a good as it looked. Brimful of classics like Perfect Kiss, Elegia and of course Love vigilante; a tale of a soldier's return from war and now it’s a country song, perfect!

I wrote the above last night and was thinking about what a tune to post, New Order songs are too obvious and easy to find, I thought of NO cover but couldn’t land on the perfect one. I was going to choose Frente version of “bizarre love triangle” but it seems to have spawned countless twee bedroom copiest on youtube, however I did find this marvelous artifact which renders my record buying memories redundant. It’s a recent reshooting of a video for Temptation starring Victoria Bergsman the lead singer of Swedish popsters the Concretes, it’s indie kid heaven, if only we’d been born French. Dancing in my bedroom was never this cool!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded Love Vigilante last night too! I'll get the rest of the album when I've freed up some memory. It's a great version, makes you appreciate barney's lyrics, which also seem perfect for a country treatment. I could never work out whether the soldier was a ghost or there was an adminstration error with the old telegram.

BLTP said...

Ah Junior Gagarin like father like son...It was only on reading and listening about/to LV this week that the ghost idea had occured to me I always thought it was an admin error. Maybe the world is divided between people who believe in ghosts and those who don't believe in the postal system!

ally. said...

that girl needs too much stella and a couple of pills (the robbing git)
x

BLTP said...

ally: I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were refering to laura Cantrell! I thought that's a bit harsh it's only a cover version! But yes the temptation film does have a high twee/fey rating, the sad vinyl geek in me did want to point that "look she's bending the corners of the sleeve"