Tuesday 8 April 2008

maybe he forgot to put his Vest on...

Charlton heston:

I mentioned the other day that even though I love the cinema I can't hand on heart real off some well meaning polish film when it comes to my favourite film ever. I love Challenging , entertaining films from around the world but if I was ill on the sofa, I would plumb for Yule and the boys probably. This is because as a kid films where a rare thing and good ones like Mag7 or Jason and Argonauts rarer still. It's not too rose tinted to say they appeared only on Good Friday, when there was chocolate and good things to eat (and possibly it was my birthday too) so they are linked with good times in my mind.

Which brings me to Charlton as after the above Ben Hur was a favourite with me and my Brothers, we were into Asterix and the galley battle and the chariot race where great, comics made real. They were so good we'd sit through the stuff with the tile and the lepers just for horse action.
So I have always had a soft spot for Charlton.

There's an excellent piece here. The modern view of him is heavily tainted by his perceived politics, so have a read and decide for yourself .
One interesting thing in the article is that David Thomas says he acts Laurence Olivia off the screen, which in my opinion happens a lot . As I think LO was never that great on film and if his reputation was based purely on film you would wonder what the fuss is about, he never learnt the simpler less showy style of acting favoured in Hollywood films that Charlton with or without his vest was so good at.

No comments: