Friday 18 April 2008

Plateful of nonsense


Things that irk me enough to type about them: a continuing series.
"Stepping up to the Plate:"

Now I'm Normally with Orwell on so called Americanisms ie. that some of them are good and some of the bad. Most of the one's people go on about most are actual an old English usage or word that's come back to us, we in mean time having moved on.
But there are few that are annoying "stepping up to the plate" is one mainly because we already had "taking the crease". Also I'm always weary of people using American sporting slang because none of us have a clue about American sport in general let alone the minutiae of Baseball.
Can't we start a campaign to generate more European versions , here's some ideas :
"taking the Okie", " Cueing the pink" " flicking the shuttlecock" oh I see I think I see a problem.

2 comments:

ally. said...

i made a sausage and mash face for the mrs last night funnily enough. .

i'd like to hear blast of the ramones hey ho lets go more often in those situations too
x

BLTP said...

ally, you'll be making heart shaped french toast next ! ;)