Monday 26 May 2008

Euro Piffle


Eurovision no thanks :(

I tuned in the other day out of curiosity and because I thought Dr Who was on. I haven’t it all watched in years. It use to be fun, we’d get together and eat cured meat from the various countries and quaff the appropriate national beverage, usually a corkscrewed haired ginger scouser would come second, it was all jolly and fun.
Last Saturday though it was just rotten, I watched about 30 mins of it and it was total rubbish. My mood wasn’t enhanced by injuring myself in the most English of ways (no I wasn’t choking on orange wearing the missus’ draws) no I dropped a knife on my foot making a G 'n' T! So I was on the sofa quelling the bleeding, cursing the telly.

What stood out was that the songs were so bland and poor, you could mix them up and have no idea where they came from. They didn’t even have any daft camp joy about them .

The fact that Vladimir Putin the man who puts the robbin’ lyin’ steelin’ and Murderin’ in reactionary totalitarian dictator, thinks it’s a good thing has really up put me off it.

The block voting reminds of the story that Kruschev once sent a telegram to the Czech president the day after the Czechs had lost to the Americans at ice hockey.
It went something like this:
RE: Loss ot Match night
Oil stop
Coal stop
Tanks stop
Vodka stop
Monday update Rushin' about being nasty!
from Luke Harding in the paper
" Russia has a new hate figure, and his name is Terry Wogan. Wogan's remarks that Russia cheated its way to victory in the Eurovision song contest on Saturday night have gone down badly here in the motherland. The BBC man said that Moscow's entry, Dima Bilan, only won because of block voting from Russia's post-Soviet neighbours. Yesterday, however, Russian bloggers vented their spleen on Sir Terry - or "that arsehole", as one put it. They said it was easy to explain why Britain's entry came joint last. "Your song wasn't bad," one blogger said. He went on, however: "You lost because everyone hates you, and your snobbish and impudent country. We don't need you here, arsehole!" Others agreed. "Russia's songs have got better and better every year," said one. "Bilan won in a contest where Europeans pick the rules," another wrote indignantly. He added: "It's risible for Wogan to accuse us of cheating. He can go shit himself!" Clearly, Sir Terry can expect a warm welcome when (and if) he arrives in Moscow next year to compere the 2009 Eurovision contest."


The UK song was rank 3rd rate 2nd division middle of the road soul album filler of the worst kind. Next year I’ll leave ‘em to it.
What's the alternative?
If you want spunky punky funky (sort of) music that’s not from round ‘ere , here’s some that’s kept getting played on me Nokia ipoddy phone doo dah for several months now….

They/She are called Sakёrt! It’s a Swedish language off shoot of the poptastic Hello saferide. It won’t win the cocking Eurovision because it’s got more spirit than Putin’s drinks cabinet but that’s not the point, pop music should make you heart beat faster, should make you want to dance, to smile, or make you want to cry (but not because you’ve got a chopping knife in your foot) it’s about being alive.

So here’s a video/slide play back thing.
Or if you can be arsed you can sign into myface and download the demo it’s called “Faller Isär” which I think means “Falling Girl” but needn’t detain us too much. Enjoy!


PS:
Did you know that Europap is network of sex workers charities.
Oh and why the hell is Israel in EV and not Lebanon?

7 comments:

Cocktails said...

Bland and poor songs in Eurovision? Never! You clearly didn't see the Spanish and Bosnian entry. Poor yes, but also weird, very weird... But yes, the rest (apart from France) was shockingly bad.

al_uk said...

What I thought was amusing was the quote from Sir Tel himself!
From BBC website;-

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

What I want to know is when was it a music contest? I think its time has passed, 2-3hours of wierdness and a rigged phone vote is hardly good tv

Anonymous said...

Liked the French one. Some research later turned up that he had a song on the Lost in Translation soundtrack toured with Air and has done some decent stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsk8QQj5Nrc The rest of Eurovision was terrible, apart from Terry.

BLTP said...

S;
Didn't see "the French" one bit t seems to be being used to justify the other 1,998 terrible Eurovision songs over the years. Lulu once worked with David Bowie but her songs a largely tripe.
Also I've never seen why Wogan is held in such high esteem I find him tedious most of the time all that Togs business is just toe curlingly dreadful. But 9 million viewers proved me wrong so what do I know

Anonymous said...

Generally I agree with you about Wogan, I find him too pompous and creepy on the radio. But good in small doses and made a good job of the Eurovision.

Cocktails said...

Look here, BLTP, I don't want you to go round thinking that I actually like Eurovision or am defending/justifying it because I enjoyed the 'French one' and some stuff from 1974. There are some good songs but most of them are complete and utter rubbish. Like Terry Wogan.

BLTP said...

cR: excellent that's that sorted, speaking for myself I do seem to have gone on about a great deal espevially for someone who genuienly doesn't care much either way :)