Friday 25 July 2008

Credit Crunch?


Do you want a piece of me?

You meet all sorts in Deptford (violent dwarves anyone) just now coming from the station there seemed to more than the usual, for want of a better word “beggars”. From the ticket scalpers at the station to a heavily sweating chap on the cadge. Next just over the bridge I’m brought up short by one of the weirdest request yet, “do you want some cheese?” said a wild looking old guy and there in a bulging blue shopping bag; blocks and blocks of the milky mild stuff. Sadly I’d just bought my necessities, so mumbling my apologises, I hurried on.

But a few steps from my door a young women crosses the street and just plain asked “to borra a few quid” which seemed expansive not “a quid” but “a few” (I don’t think anything else was on offer) I just shook my head and she wandered off.

Thinking I’d escaped all these demands I got to our blocks door when out bursts a pizza delivery guy and through his helmet asks ” you don’t want to buy a pizza mate? ”!

Every one must be skint, well I say everyone, they were covering the Cartier polo from Windsor on the news and t’old Betty is showing off her silver at the palace “it takes 3 weeks to clean…” doncha know.

Anyway all these mixed demands lead me to one song. It always makes me smile as the title “Choosey beggar” always sounds like summat my Granddad might say “god lad you’re a choosey beggar, pick one quick or you’ll have nowt…”

Oh, and the water bill was on the mat when I got in………
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
"Choosey Beggar"

1 comment:

Graham Smith said...

Brings back memories of my old next door neighbour - a stringy 13 year old girl (we called her nog until we realised the Christmas card was from "no.9"!) with a permanent snot moustache who would come round without a 'hello' and blurt out 'Can me mam borro three pound?'. Then as I fetched my wallet she would step inside, eye up the fruit bowl and add 'Can I av an orange?'. It looked like the only nourishment she got - perhaps we could put her in touch with your cheese salesman.