Monday 28 July 2008

End of the pier show?...


Obviously we love a pier round here even the one in Wigan! So the one at Weston burning down is obviously bad news and I hope no one has been hurt.

But kudos to a Mr Roger Fry on the BBC website for getting a top slightly shabby seafood hut in his shot of the inferno. “Coastalgia” and high drama in the same frame good work fella!
It’s a shame Turner passed away before the heyday of seaside piers he could have captured some excellent portrayals of the seemingly endless parade of pier fires!
Pop quiz:
Which is the only English pier never to burn down?
Answer here.

5 comments:

Cocktails said...

I like a good pier, I do. They tried to build some in Sydney once but found that they kept being washed away by the surf before they even had the chance to burn down.

Mondo said...

Well It's not Southend (still 'the world's longest pier'), which I remember seeing in flames from our flat 5 miles away in 76

Suzy Norman said...

I don't like piers, it's hard to explain, I find them depressing, although I do love the white wooden one in Southwold.

BLTP said...

RE: the only bit I don't like is the sight of the waves through the gap in the wood!

ally. said...

that diabolical joke was worthy of my dad - you should be ashamed of yourself
x