Friday 25 July 2008

Sad News


Nick Sanderson 1961-2008

I saw this the other day which was a shame. Nick Sanderson was the drummer and singer in a number of bands including The Gun Club, JAMC, World of Twist and latterly Earl Brutus.

Of all the people I know I think I’m alone in liking EB.They appeared just before Britpop and had art school meets glam appeal not dissimilar to The Auteurs. I have always liked this song (“sho me your mind”) particular this live NME version with it’s advice against carbon monoxide poisoning!

I fear the world is a little worse place for the lack of art pop train driving types like Nick and his band who he wanted to be like “a pub that's quite a rough sort of place, but with a nice carvery on Sunday lunchtimes".
They were never that big like many of us they were too clever for their own good, in a world of moon in June oasis songs the hordes didn’t want anything with a hint of grit or sharpness about it.

I saw NS once at the ICA he was at the bar buying a big round which always bodes well for anyone’s character.

My condolences to Nicks family and friends at this sad time.

I’ve posted world twist baggytastic version of She’s Rainbow so get your Bez face on and do that shuffle dance and make sure your gas fires off before you retire.

Ps. couldn’t find a decent picture of EB so included a nice pic of a Deltic instead, hopefully Nick would approve.
UPDATE: Dave 23 at "at the back and to the left" has posted alonger Obit and the vid to SMYM check it out there's lots of old tunes on his site too hurrah!



Earl Brutus "Show Me Your Mind (Live version)"


World of Twist "she's a rainbow"

2 comments:

Cocktails said...

I never really heard much by Earl Brutus, but someone else who likes them and Nick Sanderson who you might want to check out is 23 Daves -
http://left-and-to-the-back.blogspot.com/2008/06/nick-sanderson-rip.html

BLTP said...

thanks for that, he's got a nice blog going, i've linked to it.