Friday 25 July 2008

That's not My Name


Names Games:
There’s a story about Kiwi girl getting the court to officially change her name from
“Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii” to something less extreme. I can see why it just rotten I mean rhyming “Talula” with “Hula” is good but “Hawaii” stinks the place out
“Talula Does The Hula with a ruler” is good
Or
“Talula Does The Hula From mawoolah! Is topper.

No the problem with this name is it’s willful, you just know her parents are public nuisances. The great names I go on about round here clearly happen by chance normally because of a mixed background or a portmanteau christening collisions. We had a girl at school called Anastasia Micklethwaite (she played the Cor Anglais) which although a tad pretentious at least had some rhythmic tension.

Sadly my names a bit ordinary, I don’t have middle name, this use to bother me a bit , so much that I tried Nigel for size for a bit (yeah I know me neither it was around the time I read ladybird book on Custom officers and decided I wanted to be one of those too ! I didn’t realize it didn’t involve riding about at night on a horse firing muskets, thankfully my next read was Warwick the Kingmaker and so began my lifelong mission to get my hands on the levers of power)

Anyway where was I , oh yes, names the best I come across lately is someone called “Dimples” and someone else called “Sunshine” so let's see ruler , nuala, hoopla, school ya, I'll work on it.



4 comments:

Clair said...

There was a kid in the Mirror today called Blousy-May, I shit you not!

Graham Smith said...

That same article said another child had been called "Number 16 bus shelter". I blame the Beckhams - it's them that started this conception location naming malarkey.

al_uk said...

T'owd Anastasia came up in conversation the other day. We found out that the guy who is the musical director of the choir I sing in and myself are very similar in age. We were reminiscing about musical competitions we were in as children and I was saying that I always came second to Anastasia. He however in the competitions he entered often won, beating Anastasia. Probably why he is now an award winning musician and I am science teacher.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it was the Cor Anglais and not the Flute?