Friday 15 August 2008

Sad News


Jerry Wexler
1917-2008.

Sad news, Jerry Wexler has passed a way. I don’t really know what to say, he’d had a good innings and had brought more joy into the world than any creative person could ever hope to do. If you don’t own at least one tune he produced it’s safe to say you don’t like music.

At times likes this, the temptation is to be obscure but I’m going to obvious. If Jerry’s only contribution to world was enabling Aretha Franklin to express herself fully, he could rest easy.
So here’s:
Respect by Aretha Franklin


On the basis that it’s impossible to have too much good music
Here’s Dusty rescuing the reputation of son’s of the Manse after it’s been trashed by Gordon Brown (& Westwood!) this ones for my soul brothers A & S.

Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield



1 comment:

Cocktails said...

I didn't know that Jerry Wexler had died - that passed me by completely.

Another top tune he was responsible for was Careless Whisper.

Thanks for reminding me of Son of a Preacher Man - must go and get Dusty in Memphis onto the turntable this evening.