Wednesday 6 August 2008

Travellers Tale


Travelling light, originally uploaded by bltphoto.

It’s a constant problem of the news and outside events souring every day things, take suitcases until now just something you took on holiday or possibly an excuse for some visual comedy with Terry and June trying to get the lid shut on a bulging portmanteau
Scene: 12 the bedroom
The case explodes
“June”
“Yes, dear”
“Are these yours?”
Terry emerges a pair of skimpies on his head
Cue laughter and fade

But now seemingly once a month some poor soul is found dead inside a case and this does start to taint everyday life. Take for instance the occasion the other day, hurrying through the tunnel at the station, there’s a guy in front struggling with large case sweating as he heaves it up the steps. In times past he would be just a traveller who needs to lighten his load, now you start to think “if I help him does that make me his accomplice? In the end I decided not to be melodramatic and gave him a hand.

1 comment:

Suzy Norman said...

Yes, when I was in Melbourne I splashed out on a suitcase to bring home. That was 9 years ago, I still have it and I have never used it since.
These days I go hand luggage only. I can't remember the last time I used a suitcase. I'm having a ruthless clear-out of my flat this week and that suitcase, I'm afraid, will be ditched.