Sunday 8 March 2009

Blackthorn & Bees


Blackthorn & Bees
Originally uploaded by bltphoto

Takin' pictures of the Pretty flowers :let's have a heated debate!

I won't predict spring is arriving again, last time I did that we had "the snow"! All I will say is that I hope this bee collecting the first nectar and pollen of the year continues to thrive!

I had a strange conversation while pestering the bee to take it's picture. I was in the little park across the road on the way back from the market and was waving my phone around in the blossom, when a women comes up. I had my head phones on (can you imagine a phone that also plays music and takes picture all at once what times we live in!) away I was concentrating on the bee and only slowly realised she wasn't talking animatedly on her blue tooth but talking at me .


I removed my earbuds (why do people never see them?) and turned to her "what are you doin'?" "what are you doin' taking pictures of the pretty flowers?" she had been saying, she wasn't really a conversation person so I couldn't get in my usual reposte I use in these situations "because they are there " she just went on "what are you doin' taking pictures of the pretty flowers?".


I was flummoxed, normally I'm left to myself when out snapping and also I sort of thought she'd answered her own question ie "because they are pretty". Seeing as I didn't give much of a response (although I'm not sure she wanted one really) beyond smiling and muttering something about the blackthorn's "blossominess "she wandered off continuing to repeat at least twice her mantra........ "takin pictures of the pretty flowers".


I don't think she was intoxicated or otherwise distressed, she looked quite normal well dressed even. I don't know what it was all about, it was just a bit odd.


So here's my contentious picture of "the pretty flowers" and that hungry bee (which if not pretty is attractive in it's own hopefully less contentious way)

2 comments:

Zaphod Camden said...

I had a similar experience once while photographing a beautiful rainbow which I though would look lovely as a background picture on my phone.

Two teenage girls came up and said "why are you taking a picture of a rainbow?" I was in one of those weird moods so I simply said it was to send to my friend in Lithuania. They didn't have anything to say to that and walked on.

Is it that strange to take photographs of the beauty of the natural world all around us??

BLTP said...

Nice on Z: I shall use that line in future. Knowing Deptford though the first person you say it to will be from Vilnius!