Wednesday 22 April 2009

See this film now!



...It might just change your life!

I waited over night to see if I still felt/think the same way and I do.

This may be old news (it came out in 1959) but if you haven't seen Les quatre cents coups (400 blows) by François Truffaut you should make sure it's the next film you see.

We saw it last night at the BFI and I was frankly smitten by the end of titles. I would suggest also you see it at a cinema, don't worry it won't be full of texters and crisp munchers (unless they think it's Jacky Chan film) and it looks wonderful, so deserves a big screen showing.
It's the tale of the downward path unwillingly taken by a bright charismatic young Parisian 13 year old. It's difficult to say what's best about the film:


  • Jean-Pierre Léaud's incredible performance in the lead role
  • The stunning detail of the lost world of 1950's Paris (every car a 2CV, the shabby stair wells, funfairs etc)

  • The perfect music

  • The striking involving photography

  • The simple detailing of how various adults and systems (including his hapless parents) through ineptitude, distain, thoughtlessness and malice drag down and try to break the spirit of a sparky young lad.
    • It's very similar to Kes (I'm sure Ken loach has admitted the influence) so what's not to like.Lastly it's not overly worthy (or long!) and has a famously powerful if ambiguous ending.
      Special big thanks to G for sorting out the tickets and for listening to me prattle on as usual but you really should see the Beastmaster!

      3 comments:

      Cocktails said...

      Ah, BLTP, Les Quatre Cents Coups is quite possibly my favourite film of all time. I have seen it many, many times over and never, ever tire of it. It is just superb. I'm glad you saw it on the big screen as it works far better that way.

      All of Truffaut's films are a complete letdown after this one. As are Jean-Pierre Leauds.

      al_uk said...

      hmmmmm I'll look out for it at the Barnsley Arts Cinema...

      BLTP said...

      C&M: i am ashamed not to have seen it before now.
      al: it's on in sheff and bradford!