Friday 4 September 2009

It's Not Tuesday it's TUNES Day

Friday night is music night as we know

BBC 4 is showing this again








Yet to listen to it but this beauty has the best cover of the week.









There’s more cool sleeves O! Ohh! Tunes here.

As for newish music.
I saw Lisa Hannigan in a thunder storm at Latitude and she sounds just as sweet indoors at home (oh and one the train, bus...) tip top track “I don’t know”


How I stopped worrying and learned to love the YEAH, YEAH, YEAHS heard “Hysteric” off their new lp and was won over. Its sort of shoegazey in a good way, I didn’t like them before as the lead singer seemed like a nuisance and I heard the drummer interviewed and he was a bit of a kn*b.

Got the Je Suis Animal lp it’s proper indie sort of Stereolabby and double plus good.
Also really like High Down by Grass cut which is sort of weird and electronic.

Also Beth Jean Houghton especially the “Track Golden” she’s nufolky without sounding like an Orange phone advert.

Also was impressed and pleased that the Jonsi lp is as good as other Sigur Ros stuff .
Oh and there’s even a cabbage botherers rockstar cook book! With a top slightly 60’s "Good housekeeping" pictures. Bargain!

Oh and I’ve been revisiting Mazzy Star .
You can get most of the tracks either at I tunes or that there Amazon or buy the record cd doo-dah, I went to Rough Trade the other day, it's marvellous think I saw someone famous but not sure.

Beth Jean Houghton “ Golden”



4 comments:

Mondo said...

I don't remember those Fran the Fan sleeves at all..

The YYY's album is a peach - you can taste test a couple of tracks here..(keep an eye out for the special edition it has acoustic versions that are actually worth hearing)

Royksopp's Junior is worth grabbing too

PS Got this for a laugh, but has blown me away Don't be put off the by the novelty cover as it contains everything. Everything. You need to know about the space. Possibly the best book on the subjext.

PPS See you next Tunesday (it had to be said)

BLTP said...

cheers pm are you on commission for that haynes manual but I will put on my wishlist!!
plus sorry i seem to have missed the YYY on your site oops!, I do like it. In fact I'm listening it as I type.

al_uk said...

RE Best cover of the week.

I don't fancy yours much!!

al_uk said...

Re New music
Takes deep breath knowing it will result in vicious scathing comments;-

Is it too nepotistic to like the new Arctic Monkey's Album, what I've heard of it anyway?